The coalition currently includes the Black Student Union, Campus Left, El Congreso, I.D.E.A.S., Students for Justice in Palestine, the student collective HEIST, the Ventura Center Students, and AFSCME (American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees).
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: UCSBCoalition UCSBCoalition
Date: Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 12:54 AM
Subject: Demands+Meeting this Wednesday.
So today a group of us met with Vice Chancellor Young, and Kevin Mccauley he Chancellors assistant. This meeting was pretty much to answer any questions or concerns regarding the demands we presented them. (which are attached to this email)
****These demands are a product of the coalitions past two meetings, we have had strong attendance in both, and great ideas presented as well. These demands are not necessarily set in stone, they were presented and the group, and it was agreed that all voices and all ideas are welcome to this coalition.
In regards to the meeting, we were firm on our expectation of receiving a confirmation of Fridays meeting by tomorrow evening. So we will send out a notification once it has been received.
In addition to that:
The coalition agreed to meet this *Wednesday November 11th 2009 at 5pm @ El Centro.* To discuss further action, and to discuss Chancellor Yang's response to our demands.
All are welcome, and encouraged to come--this coalition has been used these past few days as a space where different groups and different people that have interest, or have been working on the issues dealing with budget cuts campus-wide, and UC Systemwide are able to come together to discuss the
various issues going on, but most importantly relay certain information that may not be openly available to students who have just joined this struggle.
Its extremely important we keep ourselves open to new ideas, and new tactics, without forgetting the past struggles, and campaigns students on this campus have been part of. There have been many successful campaigns, but also some failures. Those need not be taken for granted, its imperative we critically analyze all the work that has been done, and learn from our mistakes and successes.
Through dialogue, reflection, and action we will be successful.
We are a collective of UCSB students and staff committed to keeping the University accountable to its mission of maintaining accessible and quality public education.
These are our demands:
1. We demand a press release where Chancellor Henry T. Yang rejects the proposed 32% tuition increase, and more generally the divestment of public education and privatization of the UC System. This press release is to be distributed to all local and statewide media outlets in California. We want the
press release to be released no later than Tuesday, November 17th 2009.
2. We demand Chancellor Henry T. Yang publicly advocate for access to institutional aid for undocumented students, and encourage other chancellors, and public officials to do the same.
3. We demand that Chancellor Henry T. Yang personally have a meeting with all workers [represented and non?represented] regarding a moratorium on layoffs, furloughs and curtailment this meeting is to be held on Friday November 13th, 2009.
4. We demand more student decision?making power on advisory and administrative boards and committees.
5. We demand that the University maintain the current funding levels for the Ventura center, and to keep it open permanently.
6. We demand no shutdown of any campus departments or programs.
7. We demand no cuts on student services.
8. We demand more transparency and accountability in the following areas:
a. Administrative decision-making.
b. The process of enacting furlough, curtailment and layoffs.
c. A budget with complete figures on how additional fee revenues are being used.
d. Current and future construction and development projects.
e. Resources allocated to campus policing and security.
9. We demand this information be disseminated through campus wide list serves, student media, advertised public forums, etc?
10. We demand to meet with Chancellor Henry T. Yang on Friday November 13th, 2009 to facilitate the implementation of these demands.
We expect a confirmation by Tuesday November 10, 2009 that Chancellor Henry T. Yang:
a. Has received these demands,
b. Has committed to a meeting with the UCSB Coalition on Friday November 13th 2009.
c. Has committed to a meeting with the UCSB Workers on Friday November 13th 2009.
We expect a confirmation to be sent to UCSBCoalition@Gmail.com