SUBJECT: UCR DAY OF ACTION: 09/24
Are you concerned…
… that students are facing 3 fee hikes in 2 years totaling over 40%, including a mid-year fee increase of 15%?
… that departments have been forced to cut TA slots by as much at 10 percent?
… that staff who support low-income and middle-income families are facing furloughs and pay cuts as much as 8%?
… that a UC education is becoming less and less affordable and accessible to California's residents?
On Thursday, September 24th, thousands of faculty, staff, and students from all UC campuses will join together in observing a Day of Action. This Day of Action has the support of:
- over 100 faculty at UCR and nearly 1,000 systemwide
- the system-wide University of California Students Association of over 200,000 members,
- over 1,000 graduate students in the UC system
- UPTE, representing 12,000 University Professional and Technical Employees, and
- concerned parents, alumni, and many more community members.
The UCR Day of Action holds as its goals:
1) the preservation of access to affordable public education,
2) the protection of employees who earn the least, and
3) the restoration of transparency and shared governance in the UC system.
If you support any of these goals, PLEASE COME OUT ON THURSDAY!!
HERE IS WHAT IS HAPPENING THAT DAY:
TEACH-IN: Speakers, hip-hop theater, and rallies from 10am to 3pm. The teach-in will occur at the corner of Canyon Crest and University Drive.
STRIKE: UPTE, representing 12,000 University Professional and Technical Employees, will strike and picket on 9/24. At UCR, the picket line is at the campus entrance at Canyon Crest and University.
STUDENT AND FACULTY WALKOUT: Nearly 1000 UC faculty, including more than 100 so far from UCR, have chosen to participate in the day's activities. The UC Student Association will participate in the walkout and is calling on all its members to get involved.