Subject: MONDAY 1PM @ COVEL - "UC COMMISSION ON THE FUTURE" FORUM
WHAT: "UC Commission on the Future" – UCLA Listening Forum
WHEN: Monday, December 7, 1pm
WHERE: Covel Commons, Grand Horizon Room
The "UC Commission on the Future," co-chaired by UC President Mark Yudof and Chair of the Regents Russell Gould, formed in September 2009 to explore strategies of privatizing the UC system. Right now, many vital programs are on the table to be cut or drastically transformed to accommodate a private funding structure. Some of the Commission's proposed measures are:
• to find "alternative revenue streams" (a.k.a. private funding to substitute state funds);
• to reward "self-supporting programs" (a.k.a. programs that can earn a profit);
• to expand "collaborative research" with "industry partners" (a.k.a. corporation-directed research);
• to reduce undergraduate programs that are not "cost-effective" (such as the writing program and foreign language programs, instructors, and TAs);
• to implement "distance learning" (a.k.a. substituting real courses with online classes, leading to further instructor layoffs);
• to reduce the number of California residents admitted in favor of out-of-state residents who pay higher fees and but are far less socioeconomically and racially diverse.
Taken together, these measures will lead to the loss of the UC as a public good. Socioeconomic inequalities among students will increase; campuses will lose crucial liberal arts programs, instructors, and TAs; not-for-profit services such as library and tutoring services will be cut; and students of color, working class students, and other underprivileged students will be excluded from the UC system.
We must take a stand against this effort to privatize the UC system!
Join us Monday at 1PM outside Covel for a UCLA Fights Back coalition Speak-out. Then come inside Covel and voice your opinion directly to the Commission during the public comment.
You have to RSVP to attend the forum:
More on the UC Commission on the Future:
To reply to this message, follow the link